Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Group hike tomorrow!

As I have mentioned, I hike alone almost all the time - partly because I like the solitude, partly because I can do it whenever I want, partly because I cannot necessarily find anyone who wants to hike when I want to (not that I have looked very hard).

But there is a group I know of that hikes every Wednesday morning, and I am joining them tomorrow for a hike to Mt Islip in Angeles National Forest. I hiked with then once before - I was NOT ready for that hike - but I will tell that story anotehr time. For now, I am nervous - about hiking with new people, about not embarrassing myself - worrying what should I wear (will it be too much? too little?), what should I carry (same questions) .... what am I, a teenage girl??

The biggest technical concern is that we will be starting at about 7500 feet elevation. I have only done a few hikes at anything like that altitude - and its not much compared to people who hike at 10, 12, or 14K - but I am worried about how the lower oxygen will effect my stamina. But its a preety short hike - less than 6 miles, I think - and only 1500 or 2000 ft elevation (it was a little unclear).

No comments:

Post a Comment