Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mt Islip from Islip Saddle via Windy Gap


Well, yesterday I joined the group I mentioned on Wednesday, on a hike pretty far up Angeles Crest Highway. You go past Mt Wilson, past Charleton, where Vetter is, past Mt Waterman and Buckhorn campgroups, through a couple of tunnels - to the spot where Ca route 39 - still closed, and unmarked - meets up with CA route 2. That's Islip Saddle. From there, its a real ncie hike up to Mt Islip - steep at the beginning, steep at the end - several options -remains of a cabin and the foundation of a fire lookout tower at the top - all in all, a very good day!

The group was about 22. They were originally a bunch of retirees from Hughes in the 1980's, who decided to hike together. I gather the group has grown and shrunk over the years. They hike every Wednesday morning. I had hiked with them once about 2 years ago - a hike from Chilao to Vetter that I never completed that time. I have done it myself since then. But this was my forst time with the group since that time. They were very friendly and welcoming, and I had a great time.

The picture above is of the hike using Google Earth. I probably would not - and SHOULD not - do this on my own - so it was great to go with the group, and add another of the Sierra Club 100 Peaks to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment